- explain how the half of the Earth bathed in sunlight at any one time is experiencing day, whilst the other half is experiencing night;
- point out and explain the day/night dividing lines of dawn and dusk;
- explain why night and day are of equal length at the equinoxes;
- point out and explain how polar regions are lit in the summer but are in darkness in the winter;
- explain why winter and summer are at the opposite ends of the year in the other hemisphere, compared to their own;
- explain why equatorial regions have no seasons.
Monday, 29 September 2014
Seasons: the effect of our tilted Earth
The new ELI, published today, 'Seasons: the effect of our tilted Earth' is the last in this 'Earth in space' series. It involves an indoor demonstration which explains the changing seasons very clearly.